FW: C-Bus Protocol - Public Release

  • Subject: FW: C-Bus Protocol - Public Release
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:57:00 +0000

Good news..

Clipsal have now been persuaded that there are compelling reasons to
make some of their C-Bus protocol information available to more people !
Which I think is a great step forward for all HA enthusiasts !

They have provided a 'Public Release' version of the protocol which
is available after agreeing to the 'license conditions' on their web page
available at <a href="http://www.clipsal.com/cis/profile.php3";>http://www.clipsal.com/cis/profile.php3</a>
(click on the C-Bus
Protocol link). You need to complete the 'personal use' version &amp;
provide a
'reason' for needing this information.

The information contained in this public release is a subset of the
full protocol but I think is adequate for all the basic control needs that
people will have - the full protocol still requires that you go along the
official C-Bus 'developer' route. Compliance with the C-Bus protocol
feature set is accredited at 6 levels, this public release allows Level 1
and some of the Level 2 compliance.

The xAP to C-Bus gateway utilises a fuller protocol set as will the
HomeVision to C-Bus gateway device (a small box that sits between
HomeVision
and C-Bus). This allows greater functionality particularly in the area of
status management and tighter interconnectivity between C-Bus and external
devices. My internal macro solution for HomeVision to control C-Bus will
use this 'Public Release' protocol and people intending to use this macro
solution will require a personal license but I can arrange them through the
'third party' route.

For more info on the HomeVision solution see my recent post on the
HomeVision Users list

Thread "HardWired Lighting Support"

As previously aired on the xAP list people who were looking to use
the xAP to C-Bus gateway solely for a means to 'get at' C-Bus now have an
alternative way to achieve this, and of course HomeVision will provide yet
another route shortly. The xAP to C-Bus gateway is available now although
some features (the web server pages etc) will be added later and schemas
are
not final.

Kevin