Re: Idea for project

  • Subject: Re: Idea for project
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 23:07:00 +0000

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:56:03 +0100, "Alex Monaghan"
<<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=744gEFQEMc_iIfb3kKykXTuUjhSi03BEOXbPsYKzlOZj2GgTq1sPL_y28cJNGhgaX_650kgtuyLRQO9D">xap@m...</a>>
wrote:

>What about a xAP device with LCD, keypad, mic &amp; speaker that
could
>communicate with a soft phone on a PC, using Cat5 you could get power,
RX/TX
>and mic / speaker, plug these into the soundcard &amp; serial port
and hack the
>soft phone to accept an xAP input for dialling and an xAP output for
caller
>display / ring etc....

Invoking a call from the keypad transmits a xAP message activing
displays around the house? Answering a call transmits another message
about the location of the recipient?

Then it's just a case of connecting the sender to the receiver via
VOIP I guess.

That sounds eminently possible if you can somehow hook into the call
initiation mechanism of the VOIP software.

That xAP device with the LCD &amp; keypad is an equally reuseable
hardware
device as well. I can think of many possibilities for that. Just been
wondering to myself about how to prime its menu system via xAP
messages. Once powered up it transmits a heartbeat and it then somehow
autoloads its menu system ... or its 'press a key' to 'wake it up' and
pull down the main menu dynamically, followed by sub menus from the HA
PC that knows its configuration??? Just thinking out loud.

>Pop in a couple of sound cards and run several soft phones and a PSTN
bridge
>on your existing HA PC (as it's on 24*7) and you've got your own local
PABX
>with access to VOIP &amp; PSTN.

This bit I have no idea about at all. Given that I only have the need
to speak to myself here it's not something I've been visualising up to
now!

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=R_--j8dmzfFVNRjT1Frx41jz8rQ1P72_gXpXlfv6Wm9OYu5mpmBCrmJCus-Z1nGxqAvLVf2fssi3-Yt7i04">stuart@x...</a>