Idea for project

  • Subject: Idea for project
  • From: Alex Monaghan
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:56:00 +0000

I've been thinking about this idea for a while, but am simply running out
of
time with all my other commitments, so let's see what you guys think.

The SWMBO wanted an intercom between garage, study, her office, &
kitchen,
at a similar time someone posted a link to a VOIP system. This got me
thinking...

What about a xAP device with LCD, keypad, mic & speaker that could
communicate with a soft phone on a PC, using Cat5 you could get power,
RX/TX
and mic / speaker, plug these into the soundcard & serial port and
hack the
soft phone to accept an xAP input for dialling and an xAP output for caller
display / ring etc....
Pop in a couple of sound cards and run several soft phones and a PSTN
bridge
on your existing HA PC (as it's on 24*7) and you've got your own local PABX
with access to VOIP & PSTN.

Am I barking mad or could something like this actually work ?