RE: Anyone using much Z-wave?

------=_NextPart_000_0300_01CEB7D2.21819A40

Cheers for the thoughts Ant.

>From my POV, I'm not honestly that bothered about how open or
proprietary
the protocol is, but I'm much more concerned that it's an investment that's
not going to be wasted on a system that disappears from the market because
single company goes out of business. and from what I can tell, z-wave
devices are manufactured, marketed and supported by *dozens* of different
vendors who all sign up to the z-wave compatibility programme, so there
would seem little likelihood of z-wave disappearing in a puff of
bankruptcy.. It's a protocol, not a product, so no one company can exert
undue influence on its availability or level of support.

Many of the other HA systems are equally closed & proprietary too.
including
some of the candidates I mentioned earlier; Clipsal CBUS has traditionally
been very secretive (a little bit less so now I believe) and the same can
be
said of SONOS, but that doesn't stop me using, and very much liking their
products, because they do the other thing that I am much more concerned
about. that is, they just WORK, all the time, every time, with rock solid
dependability. That is so far removed from the experience with X10;
pressing
an X10 button is often a complete lottery whether the signal will get
through..

I presume I do *need* a z-wave controller to commission devices?... I don't
need it for anything more than that really. the logic engine will be
comfort, and that is where all the "smarts" will be, so have no
need/plan to
get down & dirty with A.N. Other controller's logic or programming
environment.

Cheers

Paul G.