RE: WiFi + External Antennae

Hi Dean,

Interesting problem=85

I would suggest that the signal inside the =91Van=92 is heavily attenuated
=
by
the aluminium skin and that any signal they receive is via the windows or
open doors.

If there is a reasonable signal outside the van a simple solution may be to
put a WAP in repeater mode on the pole in a plastic box. If it was able to
receive the signal it would effectively reconstruct the signal and
rebroadcast hopefully with enough power to get inside the van.

Downsides (isn=92t there always):

=B7         The throughput will be halved as the repeater works in a store
and forward mode

=B7         Their signal will also be available to everyone else locally so
combined with the previous point may lead to congestion

What you suggest with Back to Back WAPS sounds a bit more complex but could
work as long as the =91Rx=92ing WAP at the Van (Client) is able to
establis=
h a
connection with the =91Serving=92 WAP. Many of these =91public=92 systems
r=
equire
you to log on through a web page/portal to enable the device to connect to
the network/internet (use MAC address to identify the user).

I wonder what sort of antenna is being used at the =91Transmit=92 end
(originating end)? If it is  a simple =91Rubber Duck=92 maybe they could be
encouraged to upgrade the antenna to give everyone better service or
install a second WAP with a directional antenna pointing towards the area
where the problem is being experienced?

The antenna you suggest looks good but if there is some signal inside the
van I would assume there is a lot more signal outside the van. Running long
tails of coax at 2.4/5GHz can quickly use up any gain you may get from the
antenna. I personally prefer to keep the antenna as close to the WAP as
possible. I did a write-up on my own 3G/WiFi solution and Mark published on
the UKHA site which may give you some more things to think about.

HTH

Nigel