WiFi + External Antennae

  • Subject: WiFi + External Antennae
  • From: "Dean Smith" <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 08:28:41 +0100

I've been posed a question by some friends with a static caravan down
in
Dorset. The site provides wifi but the reception is extremely marginal
inside the van - "some devices pick it up inside occasionally".
They would
like a solution that retransmits a decent signal inside (need a variety of
devices/phones so a direct USB aerial isn't an option)

Initial reaction was to get an old wireless AP that can run DD-WRT in
client
mode.attach an external aerial (the van has a mounting pole for the TV
aerial already) and then run that AP back to back with a second AP
transmitting a a fresh SSID inside for their own devices on a different
channel. There's no option to change the wifi provision itself - so its
just
a case of maximising the reception.

I've never played with external wifi antennae so 2 questions arise.

1)      What aerial should I go for.its to receive the single specific WIFI
network on the site so I assume directional would be best. And how do you
know what gain to go for ?. Something like this..
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-24-panel-12pn.htm

2)      Are there any more elegant one box solutions available?

Thanks
Dean

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums