From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Nigel Giddings
Sent: 03 September 2013 08:48
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] WiFi + External Antennae

Hi Dean,

Interesting problem.

I would suggest that the signal inside the 'Van' is heavily attenuated by
the aluminium skin and that any signal they receive is via the windows or
open doors.

If there is a reasonable signal outside the van a simple solution may be to
put a WAP in repeater mode on the pole in a plastic box. If it was able to
receive the signal it would effectively reconstruct the signal and
rebroadcast hopefully with enough power to get inside the van.

Downsides (isn't there always):

.         The throughput will be halved as the repeater works in a store
and forward mode

.         Their signal will also be available to everyone else locally so
combined with the previous point may lead to congestion

What you suggest with Back to Back WAPS sounds a bit more complex but could
work as long as the 'Rx'ing WAP at the Van (Client) is able to establish a
connection with the 'Serving' WAP. Many of these 'public' systems require
you to log on through a web page/portal to enable the device to connect to
the network/internet (use MAC address to identify the user).

I wonder what sort of antenna is being used at the 'Transmit' end
(originating end)? If it is  a simple 'Rubber Duck' maybe they could be
encouraged to upgrade the antenna to give everyone better service or
install
a second WAP with a directional antenna pointing towards the area where the
problem is being experienced?

The antenna you suggest looks good but if there is some signal inside the
van I would assume there is a lot more signal outside the van. Running long
tails of coax at 2.4/5GHz can quickly use up any gain you may get from the
antenna. I personally prefer to keep the antenna as close to the WAP as
possible. I did a write-up on my own 3G/WiFi solution and Mark published on
the UKHA site which may give you some more things to think about.

HTH

Nigel