Replacement for X10?

  • Subject: Replacement for X10?
  • From: Nicholas Humfrey <njh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:06:03 +0000

Hello,

I can't believe I have only just discovered this mailing list! I have
been a home automation fan for a very long time, and a few years ago
bought a number of Marmitek X10 modules.

However in the past year several of my X10 modules have stopped
working. Some of them have started having interference problems (I
think), a couple of the DIN modules have some kind of electronic or
mechanical problem. And my cat snapped off the RF aerial of my USB
controller!

It is time to move on but what is the best alternative?

- LightwaveRF
- Home Easy
- Z-Wave
- Rako
- Bye Bye Standby
- Insteon

Ideally it would be something affordable, easily available in the UK
and controllable from Linux.
Two-way communication is desirable - like to know that the light
actually received the message to turn on.

nick.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums