Re: Replacement for X10?

I did the same as you, and after looking at the options available I
opted for Home Easy.  The modules are cheap and readily available
(although no longer sold by B&Q) and I control mine with an arduino
running home brew software.  Works really well and costs are minimal,
they can be controlled with manual switches as well as with the
computer, and the arduino lets me do other stuff as well as simple
turning things on and off.

There are more sophisticated systems on the market, but most are quite
expensive, and/or have a steep learning curve so are hard for 'er
indoors to cope with.

Martin

On 19/11/2013 11:06, Nicholas Humfrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I can't believe I have only just discovered this mailing list! I have
> been a home automation fan for a very long time, and a few years ago
> bought a number of Marmitek X10 modules.
>
> However in the past year several of my X10 modules have stopped
> working. Some of them have started having interference problems (I
> think), a couple of the DIN modules have some kind of electronic or
> mechanical problem. And my cat snapped off the RF aerial of my USB
> controller!
>

> It is time to move on but what is the best alternative?
>
> - LightwaveRF
> - Home Easy
> - Z-Wave
> - Rako
> - Bye Bye Standby
> - Insteon
>
> Ideally it would be something affordable, easily available in the UK
> and controllable from Linux.
> Two-way communication is desirable - like to know that the light
> actually received the message to turn on.
>

> nick.

> Yahoo Groups Links

---
protection is active.