Re: Re: Why I Regret Making My House a Smart-House

While I agree 100% with all of Rob's comments, the fundamental issue
is
that the house should work without needing an expert pulling levers
every now and again.  My house has very modest levels of automation, and
it works great pretty much all of the time so SWMBO is blissfully
unaware of what is going on under the floorboards.  However, the
slightest glitch - such as the system not quite keeping pace with
changing daylight hours to turn the lights on - causes that refrain
we've all heard before - "I don't understand how all this works/why
can't we just switch the lights on like everybody else/etc" - despite
that fact that she _can_ just press a switch.

Unfortunately, and the point of the original article, all automation
systems need someone to poke it with a stick every now and again, and
because these systems are all hand rolled you can't just get the local
sparky in to help.  Its great when I'm around, but if I'm not even my
two boys - who are both very tech savvy and have grown up with the
system - will struggle to implement the smallest fix.

Its a shame, but until there are standards that everyone follows, and
more widespread adoption of this kind of automation so that there are
trained people around to help, smart homes will remain the toys of
people like us.  And our wives will still be saying "why can't we just
turn the lights on like everyone else?"

Martin

Martin Howell
Woodworker, artist and engineer