RE: Re: Why I Regret Making My House a Smart-House

Also agreed! Press/flick a switch  light(s) should come on regardless
of
software.

I'm somewhat biased in my belief in mix & match protocols/products as
that's what Harmony does; glue them together and add logic!

Given that, I'd still prefer & unashamedly recommend one chooses the
best
platform (within budget) for a particular task, and let software enhance
the experience where possible; giving the end user the best combination of
devices/platforms/protocols.

e.g. X-10 is low cost, yet works well for a lot of people. Want to add
scene lighting, go for Rako/C-Bus, Harmony will do the necessary. Want
voice control? There's a Harmony Component that will tie all your existing
kit together too. Temperature sensing? Sure. Infrared? Covered. Media
Center interface? Got it! Want something else? Use the API to roll your
own, or request it be added to the dev schedule.

This isn't intended as an advert; simply pointing out that contrary to some
of the comments on the article software based Automation need not be seen
as the poor-brother of high-end proprietary offerings.

One should be able to use the most appropriate technology for the task in
hand. Why pay =A3100+ for a light switch when a =A310 piece of kit can do
t=
he
job just as well 99% of the time?

99% not good enough? Seems the proprietary (expensive) one manufacturer
setup doesn't do any better - and software is much easier to correct
/fix/enhance!

Comments / Criticism / Other are welcomed - onlist /emailed directly.

Don't be shy ;-)

Rob.

--
Rob Iles
Harmony Automation (www.domialifestyle.com)
On 16 Aug 2013 01:39, "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
>

> Agreed - at the very least you should always be able to poke something
> make it work ...
>
> (Applies on so many levels...)
>
> Phil

manual=