Re: Spam email problem

Thanks Alex.
I guess that on first glance the spam could appear to be from my server,
although the "via" in gmail gives the clue that not all is
genuine.
"Hopefully" its only appearing to send spam to me and not to the
rest of
the world, not from my domain anyway...

Cheers,
Tim.

On 3 October 2012 21:30, Alex Monaghan <ha@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oops, too tired, I thought this was in a work email box!
>
> The problem is that email was designed long time ago and a lot of the
> parameters in an email are taken on trust and hence easily forged. I
> remember many years ago writing something to send email responses to
> in-house support tickets and the email administrator was amazed that I
was
> able to piggyback onto his mail server and send mail as my application
so
> easily. A server based spam filter will often check the originator
email
> and
> reject it if the DNS records don't match the originator, some systems
will
> filter on mail content, against blacklists and so on.
>
> Alex

address is real, so
> e.g. EMAILmyname@xxxxxxx however it was sent via
"mthai.com".
> A whois search finds this operating out of Thailand.
>
> I've checked my domain and the address does not exist there, so I
don't
> think that has been hacked. The from and to addresses in the spam
messages
> are the same (as above) and are being caught by my "bucket"
address on the
> server.
>
> So, why now? why me? why 20-30 messages in the last few days?
> Would it appear that my domain is being used to send spam? (I don't
think
> it
> actually is, but it maybe looks that way to the casual recipient of
one of
> these messages?).
>
> Should I be any more bothered than I am about "random" spam
messages?
> Is it possible to filter-out these specific messages at the (my) mail
> server?
>
> Many thanks,
> Tim.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums