Re: Contemplating house rewiring - advice?

James, like Paul I really do recommend you star wire now if possible
as
it saves so much hassle and cost later when the HA bug bites.  If done
correctly you can easily revert a home to normal operation when you sell
, all from the consumer unit.  There's a really good info on the group
associated website re wiring if you haven't already seen it ....

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/content/wiring-guide.html

Just one addition to Paul's comment below..Assuming you just star wire 1
cable of twin and earth  to the switch then you will not have a problem
if your HA switch replacement requires switched live, neutral and
earth.  Although not often encountered if you install anything  that
requires live, switched live,  netural and earth then you will need to
install three core + earth.    Some fancier switches with displays /
indicators need this.

In some places where I retrofitted star wiring I compromised  a little
by bringing 3 core + E back from each ceiling rose which effectively
picks up the switched live from existing switches - allowing you to
automate but retain the existing mains switches. Even on/off switches
can be utilised as toggles this way.   You can also revert to standard
wiring for when you sell, just by looping back at the consumer unit.   I
would dearly have liked complete star wiring for all lights and switches
but in some places  the consequential mess would have ensured no family
lineage.

Re CAT5 if you put that in too, which you should,  then do ensure that
it is not run adjacent and parallel  to mains wiring as this induces
interference into the signalling.  C-Bus pink CAT5 is not screened. Try
and cross mains/CAT5 cable runs at right angles if possible and with as
much separation  as possible.   You can never have enough spare CAT5 in
a home if you get hooked on HA as it's now used for so many other things
aside from Ethernet.  Run extra cables to each room, particularly if
later access will be difficult. CAT5 isn't expensive so leave it coiled
up under floorboards or something, and label the ends.   You don't need
mains rated CAT5 like the C-Bus pink if it's separated from mains
wiring. In commercial buildings I believe you need Plenum sheathing
though for fire safety compliance.    Using different colours for
functionality is always helpful e.g. identifying Ethernet, IDRANet,
C-Bus, , EIB/KNX, audio, video,  telephone, RS232/485 etc...

BTW Some twisted pair (e.g.CAT5) bus topologies work with star wiring
but some do require a single run or even a loop.  This might mean
running two CAT5 to each point - or you might get away with looping back
within the same CAT5 over small distances.   In one really awkward place
in my home I tried to pass C-Bus and IDRANet down different pairs within
the same 25m run of CAT5 but that didn't work.

Increasingly endpoint devices are POE (power over Ethernet) capable and
in a home with several devices this is best serviced by one central POE
Ethernet switch and star wiring.  Helps cull the wall warts- one of my
pet hates.     If you don't have sufficient cabling available then 3COM
/ HP make some really small web managed POE network switches that can be
neatly attached to a wall to expand Ethernet ports should you need a few
extra in a particular room. . Available in 4+ port 100Mbps and Gigabit
versions, they also helpfully offer a pass through RJ45 for non Ethernet
(e.g. phone, C-Bus/IDRANet  or AV use).   I ended up using a lot of the
3CNJ225 100Mbps ones as they are really cost effective if you buy
carefully  ~ £25 for a web managed POE powered switch !  They
just mount
onto a standard UK single socket back box and provide 4 ports - one even
offering POE forwarding plus the additional RJ45 pass through.  BTW  I
have some of these spare still if anyone is in need of any...

On 25/11/2012 09:49, Paul Gordon wrote:
> Which of course is easy to reconfigure IF you star wire everything...
- you can just make the appropriate connections back at the consumer
unit...

> :-)

didn't have one). A standard ceiling rose has a loop in / loop out for both
line and neutral.

> Standard lighting control (1/2 way / intermediate switches) don't have
a neutral as such. In domestic wiring you'd drop a standard bit of twin and
earth to the switch and utilise the neural of the pair as a switched live,
and sheath it accordingly, of course.

<yahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I thought most HA lighting systems required a neutral which isn't
the norm in UK lighting. If that is true (and I'm not 100% sure) I'd
concider rewiring with one present.

possible of
>>> it in a single place, but again thinking about aesthetics
could you
>>> have nodes at each floor with links between them? I read the
Idratek
>>> wiring guidance which seemed to suggest such a thing might be
>>> possible. Again I want to try and put it in a way which makes
it
>>> easy for the sparks to follow as I imagine they won't have
much experience of this sort of thing.

>>> James

James...

selection