RE: Contemplating house rewiring - advice?

Yup, you've answered your own question pretty well James...

To give yourself the utmost flexibility in your future selection of what
system to go for, if you both star-wire the mains cable *and* run some
control cable into each backbox as well, I think you've pretty much allowed
for any possibility.. and even if you end up not using one or other cable,
at least you have not limited your options in any way, and cable is -
comparatively - cheap.. (compared the HA modules you will eventually
connect
to them!)

Couple of thoughts..

Star wiring the mains isn't the "norm" in the UK, so your
sparkies may be
resistant to the idea... it will increase cable costs - both in that you
will use more of it - the ring main topology was thought up to minimise the
quantity of cable required I believe, - and I think you have to uprate the
mains cable you use... - your sparks should know about that assuming they
know their onions...

For control cable, even though you seem to have rejected CBUS for now, you
would still get benefit from using CBUS's pink CAT5 cable as your control
wiring.. - it's not specific to CBUS - it's just bog standard CAT5 cable on
the inside, - but the pink outer sheath is certified mains rated, so you
are
allowed within the UK wiring regs to bring that cable into the same
enclosure where mains is present... - that is not permitted with
"ordinary"
computer CAT5 cable - which can be obtained quite a bit cheaper...

CAT5 cable at each socket and switch backbox shoud cate for just about any
wired HA system, although I believe there are a few options available that
require the use of their own proprietary control cable.. personally I
wouldn't give consideration to any HA system that imposes that demand, but
that's just me... - for me, if CAT5 isn't good enough, then I'm not giving
that system my money...

Paul G.