From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Geoff Hargreaves
Sent: 31 May 2012 13:03
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: blu-ray rips

The crux comes down to whether you want to keep the BD menu structure or
are
you just interested in the main video stream.

I don't have the luxury of tens of terabytes of storage to store DVD and BD
rips, so I rip the main video stream and transcode. With BDs I create an
MKV
using a programme called Video.Net. This uses Handbrake to transcode the
file but supplies a very simple UI. The problem with transcoding BDs into
MKV is if you want to have subtitles available as an option. The only way I
have found to have this feature is to create separate .srt files for each
subtitle stream.

There is a programme (and probably quite a few more) called MakeMKV that
will create an MKV file from BD that is not compressed. With one BD title I
own, I used MakeMKV followed by Video.NET. to create the files.
The makeMKV file size was about 25Gb compared to about 4.5Gb with
Video.NET.

I am prepared to sacrifice absolute quality in order to fit within the
current constraints of my server storage.

Geoff