Re: Solar PV ?

Marcus
Just posted this on UK Selfbuild.
Hope it helps!
Rgds
Peter

<quote>
Hi Chris
We have Sanyo panels (18 off 215w =3D 3.87kw) and=20
performance data since installed 28th Jan.
"Efficiency" is defined in watts / sq m at=20
prescribed incident energy. Hence it is important=20
if you are short of space, but doesn't define a=20
"better panel" if you have ample room. In fact=20
the low light / scattered light performance of=20
the Sanyo HIT (Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin=20
layer) is said to be exceptionally good but isn't=20
quantified by any data sheet / standard=20
assessment protocol tests. All I know is that we=20
will be more than happy with 3000 units a year=20
(plus!) and have 1360 since 28th January. Today,=20
for example, we hit 1kw at 0645hrs, 2kw at 0755=20
hrs and are 3.32kw at the moment.
Today is sunny with some cloud.
Even on a poor day like last Saturday we produced=20
7.9 units. Yesterday was 23.5units, were over 1kw=20
for 7.25 hours and produced from 0805hrs to 1945=20
hrs. This performance really helps offset the=20
baseload of MHRV, HA, Sonos etc. Plus through HA=20
(with manual intervention) we have a hot tub that=20
has been heated by solar electricity since season=20
started mid April. Washing machine and tumble=20
drier are also rigged to use solar. "Why tumble=20
dry if it is sunny, I asked". Only way to get towels fluffy, I am
told!
We face 20 deg east of south with a 22.5 deg pitch.
We are impressed and pleased with our somewhat=20
"act of faith" choice of Sanyo. Knowing Sanyo now=20
belong to Matsushita was encouraging. Only=20
trouble with "new" technology is the higher cost=20
(already falling) and unproven long term robustness.
Another choice if you go solar is inverter type.=20
We went with "transformerless" as it gets going=20
at lower voltage. Seems an ok choice so far.
HTH
Peter
<unquote>
At 09:06 13/05/2011, you wrote:

>I'm currently getting quotes to have some solar=20
>PV panels installed. Our roof is between west=20
>and north west facing so not ideal but on the=20
>positive side is easily big enough to install=20
>the max (as far as the Fits scheme is concerned) 3.99Kw system.
>
>Has anyone on the list already had PV panels=20
>installed or have any advice on what to be looking for.
>
>I've had 3 or 4 quotes already ranging from=20
>around =A31200 to =A31400 using various panels=20
>(sharp, upsolar, phonosolar). At first I was=20
>tending to favour the Sharp panels (=A31400) on=20
>the basis that I'm more confident that Sharp as=20
>a company will still be around in 25years if I=20
>need to call on their 25year 80% performance=20
>guarantee. Having read a bit more, I'm not keen=20
>on Sharps -5%/+10% tolerance, compared to the=20
>other panels -3%/+3%. Since I've now read that=20
>output of a string of panels is dictated by the=20
>lowest producing panel, that's means if I have a=20
>string of Sharp panels all producing +10% but=20
>the last one produces -5% then its as though all=20
>the panels are at -5%. Sounds like a gamble I'd=20
>rather not take, if I buy a 240W panel, then that's what I want.
>
>Sanyo HIT panels seem good on paper, but are=20
>pricier but from what I've read should produce=20
>more electricity in shadier conditions. Since=20
>I'm west facing , the roof will always be shaded=20
>in the morning so these may be a better buy.
>
>I've also read that the schuco roof mounting=20
>system is probably the one I should be looking=20
>at (and the quickkick the one I should be avoiding!)
>
>I'm pretty much sold on having the PV panels=20
>installed (it certainly seems to make financial=20
>sense with Fits scheme), but I want a proper job=20
>with decent equipment not a cowboy job with=20
>cheap Chinese panels that won't last the 25years.
>
>If anyone has already gone through this process=20
>then I'd be grateful of any information or advice you have.
>
>TIA
>
>Marcus

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums