Re: [OT] iPad query...

  • Subject: Re: [OT] iPad query...
  • From: "domdevitto" <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:05:38 -0000

Hmmmm,

I think you may even be able to take a powered hub that uses a usb
connection for power, also works non-powered, and power it via the Apple
power adapter.  My thoughts are that the 5/12v rails will be pass-through
when using an external power - of course, running 2A through a hub that
expects less may not be good.

Also worth experimenting as:
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/08/confirmed-not-charging-ipad-does-recharge/
suggest/confirm that at least when idle, it stills charges on 500ma USB
ports.

Dom
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Peter + Jane <pandj.munnoch@...> wrote:

> Hi
> Back end of last year there was a long thread re sync-ing and charging
iPads.
> The basis was that an iPad needs 2 amps and usb delivers just 500mA.
> Someone (Dave Mclaughlin?) was looking at
> producing a splitter (charge from charger / data from usb).
> Did this ever happen (Phil Harris...did you
> resolve the problem this or any other way?)
> Is there anything on the market?
> Thanks
> Peter (whose iPad using wife still mutters.........)
>

> At 11:14 11/10/2010, you wrote:
> >

> >Hi Phil
> >
> >Download this document.
> >
> ><http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/iPadChargeSyncAdaptor.pdf>http://www.embeddedcomputer.co.uk/iPadChargeSyncAdaptor.pdf
> >
> >See if either of these will work. I have requested a quote for the
PCB's so
> >once I get this back I can tell you the cost to make this.
> >
> >By the way, another option instead of the PLUG on the BOX, is a
short flying
> >lead with a cable relief into the box. A bit like the HUB's you
can buy.

> >Cheers,
> >Dave.

Type B
> >sockets for power and data in and a single Type A socket for
combined power
> >and data out was simply so that the unit would be more
"universal" as a
> >dangly dongle...
> >
> >Phil

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums