From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
semi.jons
Sent: 04 July 2011 22:28
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Projector cable advice

When I flood wired I put in power to the ceiling in the perfect position
for
a projector which is about a 12m run to the nascent AV alcove.  Now the
time
has come to put the signal cables in as the carpet above is soon to be
laid.
So the question is - what cables do I need?

Ultimately I'd like to have a 3D HD projector and looking at the
connections
on the back of a few current top selling projectors didn't really narrow
the
field of what to install.
- HDMI *2
- Composite RCA
- S-Video
- VGA DSUB (computer)
- DVI
- USB (mini, Type B, Type A)
- RS232 / RS485 9-pin D Connector
- DC - (for screen control)
- LAN RJ45
- Some also have audio

Currently we are an analogue house so from a sources point of view we've
got
the following all with SCART connections.
- Video (kids love spending 50p on vids in charity shops!)
- DVD
- Wii
- Freeview box

In the future I'd like to add
- media player like Plex,
- Blue Ray / 3D player

>From what I've read some AV receivers will convert SD analogue to HDMI
which would reduce the cable-fest, but I don't know if this narrows the
choice of receivers too much.as this is a once in a blue moon opportunity
get the cables in, I don't want to under spec.

My thoughts are:
- HDMI suitable for HDCP content, media PC / player, Blue Ray etc
- Component & Composite  (5 core mini coax) suitable for existing
analogue
sources
- 2*Cat5e suitable if projector is network enabled or USB over Cat5 cable
- Twin core flex for DC for screen control - maybe this should be a third
cat5 cable?

This still seems a lot, esp as I've got to get the bundle through some
joists, so I would welcome advice from people who've got experience of
projectors on what's needed.

TIA
JonS