Projector cable advice

  • Subject: Projector cable advice
  • From: "semi.jons" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:27:44 -0000

When I flood wired I put in power to the ceiling in the perfect
position fo=
r a projector which is about a 12m run to the nascent AV alcove.  Now the
t=
ime has come to put the signal cables in as the carpet above is soon to be
=
laid.  So the question is =96 what cables do I need?

Ultimately I'd like to have a 3D HD projector and looking at the
connection=
s on the back of a few current top selling projectors didn't really narrow
=
the field of what to install.
- HDMI *2
- Composite RCA
- S-Video
- VGA DSUB (computer)
- DVI
- USB (mini, Type B, Type A)
- RS232 / RS485 9-pin D Connector
- DC =96 (for screen control)
- LAN RJ45
- Some also have audio

Currently we are an analogue house so from a sources point of view we've
go=
t the following all with SCART connections.
- Video (kids love spending 50p on vids in charity shops!)
- DVD
- Wii
- Freeview box

In the future I'd like to add=20
- media player like Plex,=20
- Blue Ray / 3D player

>From what I've read some AV receivers will convert SD analogue to HDMI
whic=
h would reduce the cable-fest, but I don't know if this narrows the choice
=
of receivers too much=85as this is a once in a blue moon opportunity to
get=
the cables in, I don't want to under spec.

My thoughts are:
- HDMI suitable for HDCP content, media PC / player, Blue Ray etc
- Component & Composite  (5 core mini coax) suitable for existing
analogue =
sources
- 2*Cat5e suitable if projector is network enabled or USB over Cat5 cable
- Twin core flex for DC for screen control =96 maybe this should be a
third=
cat5 cable?

This still seems a lot, esp as I've got to get the bundle through some
jois=
ts, so I would welcome advice from people who've got experience of
projecto=
rs on what's needed.

TIA
JonS