From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Stephen McGarry
Sent: 23 January 2011 08:36
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] How to stop vibrations!

The three main factors in sound insulation are sealing, mass and isolation.
So you are on the right track with the concrete slab with foam on top (you
could also leave the thin tile between the slab and the mdf). As its
transferred sound not air borne there's nothing to seal.

HTH
Stephen

P.S. It might be necessary to increase the thickness of the MDF to hold the
weight of the slab

On 22/01/11 22:01, Wayne Harrison wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just moved my servers into residence at node 0 (ok a cupboard on
> the landing) and am having a problem with vibration. I think it's from
> the fans that cool the motherboard or psu. They are a pair of Dell
> sc440 servers ( only one is powered at the min) which have quite big
> fans. I don't think simply disconnecting the fans is an option as the
> heat is quite high at the min. Don't get me wrong, these are not loud
'winey'(sp) servers with screaming fans, have enough of that from the
switch! It's a deep rumble that's the problem, typically it vibrates
through the upstairs.

> I've got both of these on a platform that's about 5" off the
floor,
> fixed to the wall on three sides and battened from the floor at the
> front ( this was to clear some pipes that were at the back of the
> cupboard). The platform top, which is 6mm mdf, has a soundproof 'tile'
> you typically put under laminate flooring under it in my first attempt
at dampening out the noise. I've now got a 10ish mm foam (ex exercise) mat
under the servers as well (on top of the mdf). The idea being as to not
give these a soundboard to vibrate on but, hence my post here, this isn't
working as I would like either.