How to stop vibrations!

  • Subject: How to stop vibrations!
  • From: Wayne Harrison <Wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 22:01:37 +0000

Hi all,

I've just moved my servers into residence at node 0 (ok a cupboard on the
landing)
and am having a problem with vibration. I think it's from the fans that
cool the motherboard or psu. They are a pair of Dell sc440 servers ( only
one is powered at the min) which have quite big fans. I don't think simply
disconnecting the fans is an option as the heat is quite high at the min.
Don't get me wrong, these are not loud 'winey'(sp) servers with screaming
fans, have enough of that from the switch! It's a deep rumble that's the
problem, typically it vibrates through the upstairs.

I've got both of these on a platform that's about 5" off the floor,
fixed to the wall on three sides and battened from the floor at the front (
this was to clear some pipes that were at the back of the cupboard). The
platform top, which is 6mm mdf, has a soundproof 'tile' you typically put
under laminate flooring under it in my first attempt at dampening out the
noise. I've now got a 10ish mm foam (ex exercise) mat under the servers as
well (on top of the mdf). The idea being as to not give these a soundboard
to vibrate on but, hence my post here, this isn't working as I would like
either.

My only other thought was to get a concrete slab and use that as the base
of the platform to solidify it rather than cushion.

Has anyone else come across this problem and how did you fix it?

Cheers
Wayne.

Sent from my iThingy

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums