Re: How to stop vibrations!

Not quite the same scale, but I have a quick-swap desktop hard drive
caddy
which, when backing up, vibrates through the desk. My solution was to sit
it
on a thick neoprene mouse mat - this seems to stop all resonance.

Is one server worse than the other? Either way it might be good to isolate
them from each other, as well as the platform. Perhaps a smaller slab under
each, then a rubber / foam mat, then another slab, then the platform?

The other thing that's just occurred - what about spikes like you'd use for
hifi systems? (<
http://www.hifi4less.com/product.php/754/heavy-duty-spikes-and-floor-protector>)
Maybe you'd still need to cushion the cups on the platform...

One final thought - are all the case panels securely fitted? Dells are
great
for quick-opening but the side of my desktop can work loose occasionally.

HTH,

Tim.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Wayne Harrison
<Wayne@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just moved my servers into residence at node 0 (ok a cupboard on
the
> landing)
> and am having a problem with vibration. I think it's from the fans
that
> cool the motherboard or psu. They are a pair of Dell sc440 servers (
only
> one is powered at the min) which have quite big fans. I don't think
simply
> disconnecting the fans is an option as the heat is quite high at the
min.
> Don't get me wrong, these are not loud 'winey'(sp) servers with
screaming
> fans, have enough of that from the switch! It's a deep rumble that's
the
> problem, typically it vibrates through the upstairs.
>
> I've got both of these on a platform that's about 5" off the
floor, fixed
> to the wall on three sides and battened from the floor at the front (
this
> was to clear some pipes that were at the back of the cupboard). The
platform
> top, which is 6mm mdf, has a soundproof 'tile' you typically put under
> laminate flooring under it in my first attempt at dampening out the
noise.
> I've now got a 10ish mm foam (ex exercise) mat under the servers as
well (on
> top of the mdf). The idea being as to not give these a soundboard to
vibrate
> on but, hence my post here, this isn't working as I would like either.
>
> My only other thought was to get a concrete slab and use that as the
base
> of the platform to solidify it rather than cushion.
>
> Has anyone else come across this problem and how did you fix it?
>
> Cheers
> Wayne.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums