From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Kevin Hawkins
Sent: 07 February 2011 12:33
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: cbus zone/scene confusion

Just to mention... you wont be able to place a specific C-Bus 'group' in
an 'area' .    A physical output unit like an 8 channel dimmer or a 12
channel relay can be assigned an area but not each channel independently
.    If all your kitchen lights were on channels off one such unit then
this would be usable for say 'kitchen' .   I think this was an early
feature of C-Bus that has remained but is not longer encouraged.

Scenes are definitely the way to go and work very well ,  They're clever
in that you can divide scenes across several units (which helps if you
hit memory issues) and the indicators on buttons that set scenes light
up when the scene is 'valid' ie all groups are at the correct level.

A scene is 'activated' when a specific C-Bus group is set to a specific
level and this can either be a lighting group or a trigger group.
Trigger groups are just a way of separating the 'trigger'  functionality
onto a different and specific C-Bus application , which improves clarity
and is sometimes necessary when you interact with other C-Bus
applications aside from lighting.

Thinking of 'zones' might add to confusion in how you visualise things
on C-Bus as this doesn't really exist within the lighting application ,
but does exist in the HVAC (heating) application.     I think from how
your using the term zones  that  they are really scenes on C-Bus.

On 07/02/2011 11:28, ben_mccormack2000 wrote:
> Starting to get there.
>
> So currently I have 10 zones in the kitchen. All wired into separate
cbus
channels. So I have the individual control if and when needed.
> I also seem to be able to 'group' those zones into further groups,
that
can be controlled as one.

> Using scenes seems to use lots of memory as well. I am trying to
ensure I
dont run into issues later down the line.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439

> Ben
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gordon<paul_gordon@...>  wrote:
>> I'm no expert... I too struggle to understand trigger group
functionality
(I
>> *think* I understand the concept at a high-level!)
>>
>> I would summarise groups as the lowest level of "controllable
unit" in
CBUS,
>> - i.e. what you actually switch on&  off to control loads as a
single
>> entity.... so you *could* put all 10 of your kitchen loads into
the same
>> single group if you wanted to, - so long as you understand that
you would
>> then only ever be able to control all 10 loads as a single
switchable
>> entity... - all 10 on, or all 10 off etc... - there would be no
possibility
>> of individually switching (say) half of those loads separately...
- I'm
>> guessing that probably isn't what you want, if, like in my case,
you have
>> separate sets of lights such as ceiling downlighters,
under-cupboard
lights,
>> accent lights, pantry lights, cooker hood lights and so on... I
want to
>> retain the ability to control those sets of loads individually,
and so
they
>> are configured as separate CBUS groups.
>>
>> Scenes are (IMHO) the "proper" way to then control all
those separate
groups
>> as a single entity if&  when you need to... think of it like a
macro...
So
>> as you have done, a scene is then an ideal way to implement an all
off
>> "macro" - note that there is another level at which you
*could* achieve
the
>> same functionality, - there's also the concept of an
"area" in CBUS, -
which
>> comes above the level of the group... If you put all 10 of your
separate
>> channels in a single area (say called "Kitchen") you
could then address
the
>> area as a whole to send commands to all channels that fall within
it.. -
>> it's a bit like a "supergroup" if you like - or if that
just makes you
think
>> of ABBA, then perhaps a nested group might be a better analogy...
>>
>> Helpful?
>>
>> Paul G.

how
they
>> can be used.
>>
>> (56 channels so far)
>>
>> Paul.

things
working
>> but sure I have fudged it. I am totally confused about scenes,
groups,
>> trigger groups.
>>
>> I have about 10 zones in the kitchen. At the moment I create a
scene with
>> all zones at zero % in order to issue an 'all off' command. Should
I put
all