From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
i_lowe
Sent: 02 February 2011 06:54
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: SSD and VMWare Server 2... spicy!

> I know I should research this myself, but does anyone know anything
about
> SSD Reliability? There's evidently no need to RAID them for
performance,
but
> what about data integrity?

Ironically enough, that's one of the reasons I moved now - the reliability
numbers seem to now be a lot better (in terms of drive life, write cycles
etc).

I expect to get about 5-6ish years out of this drive, the same as I expect
from a spindle..

> [Edit] EEK! - some of the reviews http://tinyurl.com/6x4pg3z suggest
> reliability is not a strong point! I think I'll wait a little while -
-
> Please let me/us know if you experience any issues with it - - - sorry
> put a damper on things! [/Edit]

Yikes.

Yeah, I'll report back if anything goes belly up. The only positive aspect
in that is that they seem to be either DOA or dying fast, suggesting a
batch/manufacture issue.

if you make it past the first few weeks, not many failures... and within
that period, the ole consumer rights should kick in.

It's a lot of money, and if I had seen those reviews, I might have held off
- but we'll see how it goes. certainly, the performance more than lives up
the hype!

And as Paul G pointed out to me, the next generation Vertex 3 will be
nearly
double the speed again when it ships (announced at CES)

I.