From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John
Murray
Sent: 02 February 2011 08:46
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Re: SSD and VMWare Server 2... spicy!

I put the same Vertex 2 in my laptop a few months ago. No reliability
issues to report and great performance, although a colleague is on his
third drive already. YMMV

Regards,

John Murray

On 2 Feb 2011, at 06:53, "i_lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I know I should research this myself, but does anyone know
anything about
> > SSD Reliability? There's evidently no need to RAID them for
performance, but
> > what about data integrity?
>
> Ironically enough, that's one of the reasons I moved now - the
reliability numbers seem to now be a lot better (in terms of drive life,
write cycles etc).

> I expect to get about 5-6ish years out of this drive, the same as I
expect from a spindle..

> > [Edit] EEK! - some of the reviews http://tinyurl.com/6x4pg3z suggest
> > reliability is not a strong point! I think I'll wait a little
while - -
> > Please let me/us know if you experience any issues with it - - -
sorry to
> > put a damper on things! [/Edit]
>
> Yikes.
>
> Yeah, I'll report back if anything goes belly up. The only positive
aspect in that is that they seem to be either DOA or dying fast, suggesting
a batch/manufacture issue.

> if you make it past the first few weeks, not many failures... and
within that period, the ole consumer rights should kick in.

> It's a lot of money, and if I had seen those reviews, I might have
held off - but we'll see how it goes. certainly, the performance more than
lives up the hype!

> And as Paul G pointed out to me, the next generation Vertex 3 will be
nearly double the speed again when it ships (announced at CES)