Re: BT HomeHub Networking Woes

  I went with 02 a while back and decided to 'be a standard customer'
and use their box to make the ADSL connection. I wasn't too keen on the
UI as you have to go hunting around to configure it. The subnet it
defaults to was different to my home network that I had already
configured, and whilst I could change that easily enough, if it were
reset then the settings would be lost.

I decided then to use a wireless router (sometimes labelled cable
router) for the home network and then simply connect this to the 02 ADSL
router for internet traffic.

I know its an extra layer of hardware that isn't strictly necessary, but
at least it separates the home network structure from internet traffic.
It also allows me to run two wireless networks, the home network using
WPA2 and the 02 box running WEP for legacy equipment that needs
connecting occasionally.

Geoff

On 28/09/2010 18:53, Neil Ball wrote:
> Is it not time to retire the HH for something that will just work as
it is
> supposed to? I've had to swap out a number of HH routers for customers
where
> the HH just would not play nice (or plain work properly) with Sonos
installs
> or home networks with more than a few PCs attached. I generally put
Draytek
> Vigor 2820Ns back, not cheap but damn reliable J
>

> Neil B.

khan 192.168.0.4"

> "Its fixed" I thought, so fired up laptop (Win 7 Pro)
>
> Ping khan
>
> Pinging khan.home 216.146.35.99 :(
>
> But this was with a wireless connection.
>
> Changed to a WIRED connection
>
> Ping khan
>
> Pinging khan.home 192.168.0.4 :)
>
> Went back to Wifi and its still screwed. No idea what is causing it
but it
> doesn't seem to be the .home suffix causing the problem, but it does
appear
> to be the Wifi.

> Keith

 ] On Behalf