Re: Solid state relays - how to use them?

  I've never seen a purpose made box for Solid State Relays.

Whenever I have used them, I've wired them in to a metal box, which,
provided the lid is secured with screws, should satisfy the Buildings
Inspector.

Whether they need a heat sink or not is dependant upon the load. One
project we did had rows of them, fixed to heatsinks with forced
ventilation whilst other projects have just needed them to be in
"tinplate" boxes with no vent at all!

When mounting them in the boxes, we normally terminate the box wiring
into DIN rail mounted terminals so they are easier to fit on site. For
you, it would make them look more "professional", for the
inspector,
although you did say you didn't want to use DIN rail because of expense.

DIN rail is only 70p/M if you buy it from the right place and terminals
are about 10p each, depending on size.

Have a look at www.ecproducts.co.uk for terminals etc - Speak to Mickey
and tell him Neil Fuller sent you - He might give you trade discount!

HTH

Neil

On 26/09/2010 17:48, bifferos wrote:

> Sorry if this has been covered before here, but I'm looking for a
> mounting box for a single SSR. The SSRs I've got are the standard
> 4-terminal type by Crydom with two screw holes for control, and two
> for power. I don't want to get a DIN rail as that would be too
> expensive for home use (and I need quite a few of them in different
> places). So I think I'm looking for metal box, with live, neutral, GND
> in one side, live neutral GND out the other, and a control connection
> in the middle and somewhere to mount the relay. I guess a metal box
> would be good enough to dissipate the heat and I wouldn't need a
> heatsink for most applications?
>
> I know I can just buy a metal box and make something up, and indeed
> that's what I did last time I needed this, but that was for work use
> and I'd like something that looks a bit more professional, in
> particular so it gets past a building control inspector!
>
> A lengthy Google reveals nothing appropriate, perhaps I just haven't
> been using the right search terms :-(.
>
> thanks for any advice,
> Biff.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums