Re: Issues with PC Power supply - HELP?

No substitute power supply without spending =A340.

I have tried all combinations and still will not start sometimes but no
com=
mon factors. I have noticed I think it needs time to cool down before
start=
ing so thinking something has partly blown and is very temp dependent.

Swapped the drives into an older case and will see how that runs.

No Bios - Just a PC case with SATA to FW bridge boards

Ben

On 26 Jun 2010, at 06:29, Rob Iles wrote:

> *question* and I don't mean it to sound impertinent - have you
considered=
:
>=20
> a) The PSU - can you substitute it with a known good one?
> b) You moved it - - any chance of disk-head (crikey - that took
several
> attempts on new phone - - over-sensitive "sware list")
(actually, if anyo=
ne
> has a "proper" sware list - tpically used for banninf /
flagging - I'd lo=
ve
> to get a copy - - to allow me to type how I ****ing want! :-)
(Offflist =
for
> this one!!) contact?
>=20
> c) Did you open her up? fiddle with fans/ temp sensors etc - - that'll
> easilly do it!
>=20
> d) Can you get into the Bios, and stay there for a while - - proves
the
> electronice are "OK"....
>=20
> It's likely to be easily rectifiable, unless you neglected the
"dropped i=
> down the stairs and put it through the washing machine" bit!!
>=20
>=20
> Are (were) there any visible jumpers / pins externally? are they still
> there?
>=20
> Did moving it nudge the magic button from 120 to 240V supply?
>=20
>=20
> I'm sure you'll get a lot of usefull suggestions - - it's been too
many
> years since I've been "hands on server" :-( .....but I hope
the above doe=
> something (positive)!
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Rob
>=20
>=20
> On 24 June 2010 20:21, Ben McCormack <yahoogroup@xxxxxxx> wro=
te:
>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> All
>>=20
>> I have a 2U rackmount case that houses 4 SATA Drives and 2 SATA to
Firew=
ire
>> Bridge Boards. the whole thing is powered off a standard PC power
supply=
in
>> the case.
>>=20
>> Now I moved the case recently and it would not turn back on. The
power
>> supply fires up and the lights come on but then it shuts down
after abou=
t 4
>> seconds.
>>=20
>> Now by unplugging things from the system (ie one of the FW Bridge
Boards=
or
>> one of the drives) I can get the thing to startup and stay running
but t=
his
>> is almost random. Sometimes particular combinations work and then
they
>> don't.
>>=20
>> I think I have been through it methodically but cannot see or find
the r=
oot