Re: [OT] Virgin Sodding Media

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Virgin Sodding Media
  • From: "Tim" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:07:04 -0000

Hi Dom,
thanks for the input.  Thankfully I have used it to convince the homeowner
that he needs to call in NTL - it was your comment about that box only
being able to manage 2Meg that did it - apparently he's been paying for 10
megs for years! They are due to come and fit some new hardware and my life
can revert to normal, tending to the needs of my huge flock of cable
routers!

Thanks,
Tim.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "domdevitto" <dom@...> wrote:

> All comments are mine, don't represent VM, yada, yada, but as all VM
employee's are passionate about customer service....

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Tim" <tim@> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for the OT post but this is driving me crazy.
> >
> > I am now the proud owner of 3 cable routers for a VM BB account.
The STB (SMT-2100C) is fine and any machine connected to its ethernet port
works fine.  The netgear router completes its wizard and says it is
connected, but nothing can connect through it (wired or w/less).  The other
routers behave similarly.  I spoke to VM "Tech Support" and they
told me I needed a modem as well as the STB - I can't find out if this is
true but can't believe it is.

> Hmm, what you describe above won't work, as you've found out.
> So I guess Tech Support appear correct - agreed?
>
> If you're a new customer, they should install a working solution.
> If you're an existing customer, as with anything, messing with
something you don't understand isn't a recipe for success.
> I suggest you ask VM to fix things - they will help, probably sending
you a shiny new CM which can do over 50mb/s, rather than a 2100C, which
isn't capable of over 2.

> You're probably paying for more than 2mb/s, so Tech Support are trying
to ensure you not only get online, but get online at the speed you're
paying for.  This is obviously very different non-cable providers, who
charge the same for 2.5mb/s as 8mb/s, and generally 'online' is good enough
for them....

> > For the record I have tried spoofing the MAC address of the STB
in the router (NTL help says its not necessary) but that didn't work
either.  I can't think of anything else other than buying more routers - if
anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them - unless they are the type
of idea along the lines of "sod off and do your own tech support"
in which case thanks, but I already had that one.

> Again, what you describe won't work, but please don't buy more
routers, call support instead.  Really.  Honest.  They do this thing all
day, and their measured on getting it 100% right, first time, every
time....

> If you email me off-list, I'll explain why - but VM tech support
really do seem right......

> Dom
> PS. There is a VM forum for reporting problems, if you prefer, and VM
staff follow up on the posts (like a 'batch' tech support).  This isn't as
good as interactive/phone support, but if you don't/can't call, this is
another option.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums