Re: The end of s-video?

A couple of suggestions,
This, <http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/New-Products/Muxlab-Active-Baluns-Send-Component-and-IR-Over-Single-CAT5.html>
for component and IR over a single CAT5.
Do the sky HD boxes still have component out or is it HDMI only now?

and this:
<http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/Announcements/Just-Add-Power-s-HDMI-Over-IP-Solution-Explained.html>
plus possibly an HDMI splitter for the sky box.
There's also some A-H forum discussion on it here:
<http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2520>

HTH,

Tim.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM, rb_ziggy <rb.lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been using Keith's KAT-5 distribution system for sending Sky to a
second room for two or three years and its been excellent.  This uses
s-video for distribution (plus stereo audio). Quality is very good for a
second room (LCD) tv.

> However, it seems that s-video is on its way out.
>
> Part 1:
>
> Just after xmas I bought a new Samsung 32" tv for the second
room.  HD and all the bits. Great for the kids PS3. But... I discovered
that it didn't support s-video through the (single only now) scart socket.
I hadn't even occurred to me that it wouldn't so I hadn't checked:-(

> After spending while with Samsung customer services (who were
surprisingly helpful), I switched the KAT-5 to composite and resigned
myself to a much lower quality while I had a rethink.

> Part 2:
>
> Sky HD box had been gradually going on the blink up to xmas.  Engineer
came out replaced box - still had a prob, replaced dish etc. Still had a
prob. Came back this week to replace box and this time we got a nice new
(smaller unit) latest version of the HD box with 500Mb drive. Problem fixed
and an upgrade - Sweet.

> But, we seemed to be having a prob getting a signal to the second tv.
When I checked this morning, the s-video cable to the KAT-5 box wasn't
plugged in.  And there was a very good reason for this... the new Sky HD
box doesn't have a s-video out plug.  So having switched to an old scart to
scart cable to the KAT-5 we have the picture back again running now with
composite end to end.

> So, it looks like the days of s-video are numbered.  Manufacturers
seem to be dropping it from their specs in favour of fully digital
interconnects.  Understandable I guess but a bit frustrating.

> Be warned!!!
>

> Unfortunately, I think this also means that I'll be looking for a new
solution to take the place of KAT-5 (sorry Keith). Composite is really not
good enough.

> Trouble is I need HDMI plus IR return control over 1 cat5 cable.    At
the moment I can find HDMI over 1 cat 5 or HDMI plus IR over 2 cables.
Unfortunately I only ran 2 cat 5 cables to the position where the AV
cabinet is. The other one is already doubled to carry  ethernet plus phone.

> Who was it who said you can never lay too much cat 5?
>
> Looks like I may have to take some runs from another (double) cat5
plus on the other side of the room which isn't being used!

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums