The end of s-video?

  • Subject: The end of s-video?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 14:15:58 -0000

I've been using Keith's KAT-5 distribution system for sending Sky to a
second room for two or three years and its been excellent.  This uses
s-video for distribution (plus stereo audio). Quality is very good for a
second room (LCD) tv.

However, it seems that s-video is on its way out.

Part 1:

Just after xmas I bought a new Samsung 32" tv for the second room.  HD
and all the bits. Great for the kids PS3. But... I discovered that it
didn't support s-video through the (single only now) scart socket. I hadn't
even occurred to me that it wouldn't so I hadn't checked:-(

After spending while with Samsung customer services (who were surprisingly
helpful), I switched the KAT-5 to composite and resigned myself to a much
lower quality while I had a rethink.

Part 2:

Sky HD box had been gradually going on the blink up to xmas.  Engineer came
out replaced box - still had a prob, replaced dish etc. Still had a prob.
Came back this week to replace box and this time we got a nice new (smaller
unit) latest version of the HD box with 500Mb drive. Problem fixed and an
upgrade - Sweet.

But, we seemed to be having a prob getting a signal to the second tv.  When
I checked this morning, the s-video cable to the KAT-5 box wasn't plugged
in.  And there was a very good reason for this... the new Sky HD box
doesn't have a s-video out plug.  So having switched to an old scart to
scart cable to the KAT-5 we have the picture back again running now with
composite end to end.

So, it looks like the days of s-video are numbered.  Manufacturers seem to
be dropping it from their specs in favour of fully digital interconnects.
Understandable I guess but a bit frustrating.

Be warned!!!

Unfortunately, I think this also means that I'll be looking for a new
solution to take the place of KAT-5 (sorry Keith). Composite is really not
good enough.

Trouble is I need HDMI plus IR return control over 1 cat5 cable.    At the
moment I can find HDMI over 1 cat 5 or HDMI plus IR over 2 cables.
Unfortunately I only ran 2 cat 5 cables to the position where the AV
cabinet is. The other one is already doubled to carry  ethernet plus phone.

Who was it who said you can never lay too much cat 5?

Looks like I may have to take some runs from another (double) cat5 plus on
the other side of the room which isn't being used!

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums