Re: New Boiler (with automation inclusion)

I don't believe so, but it does depend on what you mean.   We have two
combis (sounds crap straight away), one in our house and one in our
holiday cottage (better).  Both are Worcester Bosch, the one in the
house is new (about a year old).  It is a Greenstar 42CDi, which runs 7
rads in 6 rooms and underfloor in one room which was an extension added
one year ago when we also changed the boiler.  It is controlled by a WB
controller that is wireless.  Shower is great, we have a HG Raindance
Air head on the shower.  I prefer the shower so cant comment on bath
fill times.  According to WB website it delivers 17.2ltr per min.

I would say we are happy and its miles better than our previous showers
(an electric one and then one on a combi that could do 9ltr/min).

The cottage boiler is 11yrs old and probably time for upgrade so wont
comment on that more.

The one problem we have had is with the controller. But that is down to
the fact we have some solid stone walls in our house that are 18" -
24"
thick so if you move the controller from room to room it can call for
heat and the boiler wont see the signal.

The thing I can't do and would like to is to introduce a second form of
heating (solar?) to drive the cost down but you can't do that with a
combi to best of my knowledge (no tank).

robin

On 13/01/10 06:46, Phil Harris wrote:
> Are *ALL* combi boiler installs crap? I can't say for friends houses
where
> I've visited because I don't go round asking whether they have combis
or not
> but my parents had one fitted (replacing a hot water cylinder) and
they
> ended up with pathetic hot water flow to their bathroom (whereas
before it
> had been fine from the old cylinder), it takes ages to fill a bath and
> showering is limp. House where I live at the moment (rented) is
exactly the
> same and a place that I used to live in before I bought my last house
was
> also exactly the same.
>
> Can you get *GOOD* hefty (high output / high flow) combi boilers?
>
> Phil

upstairs

>> cupboard,
>>
>>> and vented cold water supply in the loft.
>>>
>>> My understanding is that a combo for our house is not man
enough, so
>>> perhaps some sort of hybrid condensor or a Megaflow. Would be
nice to
>>> have
>>> full mains pressure water hot and cold throughout the house,
and the
>>> potential to boost from renewalable sources later on, and
provide

>> heat to
>>
>>> a water UFH (if I ever get round to it). I'll look to
integrate this

>> into
>>
>>> Comfort/CBUS (likely) or the Heatmiser (unlikely)
>>>
>>> Any tips would be appreciated :-)
>>>
>>> tia
>>>
>>> Unless stated otherwise above:
>>> IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales
with

>> number
>>
>>> 741598.
>>> Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth,
Hampshire