Re: [OT] PIC(?) Microprocessor/DHCP tester

Easily done... and a Rabbit based solution is also worth considering -
perhaps using one of their dev kits that include LCD/Ethernet.   Not
sure how important a nice case is to you but the code side is very
straightforward - in C.      Or perhaps even easier for a learning
project would be a Tibbo module that is already cased and programmable
in Basic.

There must be off the shelf boxes that do exactly this too - might save
a few headaches and countless hours - sounds like you'll have thr budget
available for one of these.

On 08/01/2010 01:07, starbug1234 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a need to build some sort of device that I can plug into a
network that will obtain its IP settings from DHCP and display this on a
lcd type display.  As further development, being able to access the device
via a web page do futher tests would be nice.

> The reason behind this is that the network I look after has loads of
VLANS for seperate departments, with a DCHP server in each VLAN.  With
1000's of drops and little (read = none) documentation, lugging a laptop
around to test is the only way to ID a network point.

> I have no expeience with PIC programming, but the research I have done
seems to show that there is a lot of "out-of-the-box" code
available to do networky tyoe stuff, and display type stuff - I'd just need
to work out a way to tie them together.

> I know there are a few microprosser programmers on here so would
appreciate any pointers.  I am a COMPLETE beginner on this!