[OT] PIC(?) Microprocessor/DHCP tester

  • Subject: [OT] PIC(?) Microprocessor/DHCP tester
  • From: "starbug1234" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 01:07:19 -0000

Hi,

I have a need to build some sort of device that I can plug into a network
that will obtain its IP settings from DHCP and display this on a lcd type
display.  As further development, being able to access the device via a web
page do futher tests would be nice.

The reason behind this is that the network I look after has loads of VLANS
for seperate departments, with a DCHP server in each VLAN.  With 1000's of
drops and little (read = none) documentation, lugging a laptop around to
test is the only way to ID a network point.

I have no expeience with PIC programming, but the research I have done
seems to show that there is a lot of "out-of-the-box" code
available to do networky tyoe stuff, and display type stuff - I'd just need
to work out a way to tie them together.

I know there are a few microprosser programmers on here so would appreciate
any pointers.  I am a COMPLETE beginner on this!

Thanks

Stuart