Re: [OT] PIC(?) Microprocessor/DHCP tester

2010/1/8 starbug1234 <groups@xxxxxxx>

> Hi,
>
> I have a need to build some sort of device that I can plug into a
network
> that will obtain its IP settings from DHCP and display this on a lcd
type
> display.  As further development, being able to access the device via
a web
> page do futher tests would be nice.
>
> The reason behind this is that the network I look after has loads of
VLANS
> for seperate departments, with a DCHP server in each VLAN.  With
1000's of
> drops and little (read = none) documentation, lugging a laptop around
> test is the only way to ID a network point.
>
> I have no expeience with PIC programming, but the research I have done
> seems to show that there is a lot of "out-of-the-box" code
available to do
> networky tyoe stuff, and display type stuff - I'd just need to work
out a
> way to tie them together.
>
> I know there are a few microprosser programmers on here so would
appreciate
> any pointers.  I am a COMPLETE beginner on this!

How about an Arduino or MBED NXP (http://mbed.org/nxp/lpc1768/)?

I'm contemplating which one of the two to get at the moment - that
attraction of the mbed is that it has ethernet built in, but I'm not sure
it's got the same level of community as the Arduino has.

When you've built the thing remember to send it to Hack a Day

Andy