RE: Re: cbus Wiser config agony

LOL! - yes, that's *exactly* where I am right now... just can't get
PICED to
connect to the wiser unit...

When your transfer manager auto-finds HOME@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - does the icon
have a little red dot on it? - I have no idea if that has any significance
or not? - just wondering if the red bit signifies it's "offline"
or
something?...

It is, as you say, such a shame, because until now, I've had a blinding
time
with CBUS, nothing even vaguely resembling a failure, it's been rock-solid,
and 100% reliable for the several years I've been running it. - Plenty of
frustrations along the way of course, but invariably that's been down to my
own lack of product expertise... (I did do the CBUS training course a few
years ago, but it's a testament to just how good it is, that ever since
then, I've hardly ever needed to connect to it to change anything, so most
of the stuff I learned back then is largely forgotten...)

This however, just isn't good enough! - having to use THREE separate
software tools just to perform the most basic commissioning of the unit???
-
what's that all about?

It's been embarrassing for me too... to have to, for the first time ever,
defend a CBUS purchase to SWMBO, who knows only too well how much this unit
cost (she's probably converted that into how many pairs of shoes or
handbags
that might have bought!) and is giving me a hard time (only partly in jest
suspect), about having "wasted the money" and "what a pile
of cack - it
doesn't work" - both direct quotes.... :-(

Perhaps the CBUS training courses have improved quite a bit since I did
one... - I don't recall there being a section on being psychic in my
training... ;-) - that's the excuse I could fathom for the documentation on
commissioning this being so sorely lacking. - someone at Clipsal should get
the back of their legs slapped, - very hard!

If I get *anywhere* with this over the course of the week, I'll let you
know!

Cheers.

Paul G.

IP
> address via the IP config program etc. Clipsals argument that IP
> addressing
> is too varied for them to give you correct info is b*ll*cks.
>
> I'm assuming you as myself can open PICED create a project with
correct
> details but when you ask it to connect to device it says check IP
> address ?
> And when I select auto IP it finds HOME@xxxxxxxxxxxxx but then still
> will
> not connect.
>
> I pride myself on being pretty IT literate but this things is just
> cobblers.
> As you say, perhaps there's yet another undocumented setting that
needs
> changing.
>
> I've been a long time Cbus fan/installer and after many years of good
> products and poor UK support (except when Phil was there) they still
> manage
> to frustrate the hell out of me.
>
> Hopefully someone will answer the post on cbusforums - or hopefully
> Kevin
> will be along soon to offer advice as I believe he has his up and
> running.
>
> Oh and it damn embarrasing when SWMBO keeps asking why the outside
> lights
> don't work on a timer anymore, since removal of the old PAC unit...
>

> Dean.

I've
> readdressed
> my units as follows:
>
> Readdressed Wiser router to 192.168.145.245/24 (via wiser's web admin
> UI)
> Readdressed the CNI unit to 192.168.145.246/24 (vie CBUS IP utility)
>
> I've confirmed both of these, and I can connect to both units on these
> addresses (I've used toolkit for several hours connected to the CNI
IP)

> As is expected, according to the Wiser's UI, it still believes the CNI
> is on
> the original default addres of 2.2, so I understand I need to upload a
> PICED
> project to update that... - I Seem utterly unable to get this last
part
> work... - PICED just constantly fails/refuses to connect... so I can't
> upload the project to update it's knowledge onf the CNI, so I cannot
> access
> the wiser UI, not can I connect to the CNI through wiser, as I believe
> I'm
> supposed to be able to...
>
> I've been at this for almost the whole of this weekend, - SWMBO isn't
> best
> pleased - says I'm neglecting her on valentine's day... :-( - I'm fed
> up,
> and I just want it to work... I *believe* I've done everything
> specified in
> the instructions, but either I've got a duffer, (which I doubt), or
> there's
> still some other (presumably un or poorly documented) config setting
> somewhere that I haven't set...
>
> TIA for any pointers...
>
> Paul G.

simultaneously
> connected devices. These devices each run an independent Wiser user
> interface application. That could mean 6 iPhones or any mix of
> constantly
> connected or sporadically connected Media Centers, iPhones,
> PCs/laptops, and
> a partridge and a pear tree. You get the idea. Currently, the list of
> devices with released applications is:
> - iPhone/iTouch (released yesterday)
> - Microsoft Media Centre (Vista only at the moment)
> - any device capable of running Adobe Flash 9 and above (this means
> almost
> any PC or Intel/AMD/x86 CPU based platform). Linux, Windows, MacOS,
etc
> through browser plugins or native apps. This category tends to be the
> big
> one as it includes web tablets, in-wall stuff, deskmount stuff and
> others.
> - devices with FlashLite 3.0 with XML support. This covers devices
like
> Nokia Symbian phones. N95 works. I think some of the others which have
> touchscreens aren't quite fully supported yet.
> - other devices with Adobe Flash capabilities. Turns out Playstation 3
> works
> fine as well as a user interface for Wiser.
>
> > sure the CNI will be single owner only.    We'll see once someone
has
> one.
>
> Indeed. When you want to configure or commission something, you
connect
> toolkit to the Wiser's IP address (or external DNS name/etc if you've
> enabled remote programming and dyndns/etc) and it will pass that
> communication through to its CNI. In that mode, that is, the mode of
> toolkit
> programming, naturally, you won't be able to use any of the Wiser's
> user
> interfaces. Once you disconnect toolkit, the user interfaces reconnect
> and
> are able to share access to the Wiser as before.
>
> By the way, there's a youtube video of the Wiser iphone app here,
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHsjTdTPVnU
. Some Russian guys have
> also
> posted this video of an interesting setup,
> http://rutube.ru/tracks/2288889.html
(I don't know why but I had to