Newbie on centralheating/hot water X10?

  • Subject: Newbie on centralheating/hot water X10?
  • From: Andy <andysideas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 03:53:10 +0000

Hi,

Appreciate a lot of you guys are home auotmation pros here, but I need some
advice.

I have been a member of this list and watch the home automation with the
dream.. however I am looking at dipping my toes for the first time.

I need to buy a new central heating and hot water controller. It needs to
have regular controls, but I want to be able to control it via my PC, and
remotely when not at home (e.g turn heating on early or off if we are away)

I am also looking for ideas around the control of hot water. We have a
mains
pressure tank, and currently have the hot water on for 2 hours in the
morning and evening. However, the water remains hot all day and I am sure
most nights we do not need it on in the evenings. How could I have a more
intelligent system that can almost tell me how much estimated water is
still
hot?

For example, assume hot water comes on in the morning for 2 hours. By 5pm
there is still hot water, but we have no idea how much is left so the
existing crap timer comes on at 6 for another 2 hours and then again at
5am.
I am sure this is wasteful

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums