Re: Converting Cat 5 to TV Coax and TV distribution amp advice needed

There's also an inherent problem with SkyHD (and I believe this
applies to Sky+ too) over RF in that the volume on the RF feed is
significantly below that of either terrestrial TV or FreeView and there's
no longer a volume compensation option in the setup menus.

My parents TV in the kitchen is run at full volume just to be audible -
absolutely crap!

Phil

Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...

On 28 Dec 2010, at 21:32, "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> In that case upgrade your distribution amplifier to one with decent
gain
> (and make sure it is Magic Eye compatible if you need it) and make
sure you
> have the Sky box set to a clear RF channel that is not subject to any
> interference. Sky over RF is quite ropey but works well enough for
casual
> viewing. After that you need to work on your cable terminations to
make sure
> you are not losing too much signal.
>

> Another option is to use an s-video/stereo audio over Cat5e balun to
take a
> better quality feed from your STB to the other TV (assuming it has
s-vid
> input), or go composite video instead. Both are going to be better
than RF.

> Neil B.

I use
> the RF2 output of one of my Sky boxes as the input to the F type amp.
>
> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
] On Behalf
> Of
> Neil Ball
> Sent: 28 December 2010 16:14
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Converting Cat 5 to TV Coax and TV distribution
amp
> advice needed
>
> Is the main feed from the aerial any good? You need the best signal
from the
> aerial before you go through any form of distribution otherwise adding
an
> amplifier will simply amplify all the noise along with the signal
which will
> not improve things greatly. If the main downlead is poor, has poor
> connections or if the aerial looks past its best then address these
first.
> If you replace the cable then use foam-filled CT100 grade coax with
> compression fittings if you can as these will stand up best against
the
> elements.
>
> I'd go for a decent powered distribution amplifier for all of the TVs
and if
> the situation is no better once the main feed/distribution is sorted
then
> you could try use all of the cores of the Cat5e to see if that
improves
> things. I'd also do away with the coax faceplate and joint the cat5e
and
> coax in the back box so you can run the coax cable direct to the TV
without
> further cable joints (you can drill out a blank faceplate or doctor
the coax
> plate you already have). With that all said I would still run in a new
> length of coax if at all possible for the easiest/best signal for the
TV.