Re: Budget Home Theatre Recommendations?

That's great advice, Thanks Paul.

I've always been a bit, well, wary of Richer Sounds because they seem to=20
sell end of line stuff.

But for this little "project", that would be ideal as I really
don't=20
need top end, bleeding edge kit.

I'll pop in to Guildford tomorrow and see if they can rig the speakers=20
up so I can have a listen - I might even have a new toy(s) for Christmas
;-=
)

Cheers

Neil

On 23/12/2010 10:00, Paul Gordon wrote:

> I should think you should *very* easily satisfy your requirements well
> within that budget...
>
> AV amps with perfectly respectable/adequate specs are unbelievably
cheap
> these days... (not the one *I* want of course! - top range Denon
jobbie,
> =A31300-odd!)
>
> How about either of these as examples:
> http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh500/sony-strdh=
500
> - =A399
> http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh510/sony-strdh=
510
> - =A3139
>
> Freeview HD box:
> http://www.richersounds.com/product/freeview-freesat-pvr/humax/hdr-foxt2/=
hum
> a-fox-t2-hdr - =A3300
>
> 5.1 speaker package - very far from being the cheapest available:
> http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-s=
fx5
> .1-blk - =A3200
>
> That's the lot for not much more than =A3600 - and if you were to buy
*al=
l*
> the components from the same supplier, I'll bet you can haggle for
a=20
> further
> reduction, or at the very least some freebies thrown in...
>
> BAH! - I should never have gone off looking at the Richer Sounds=20
> website...
> - it's now giving me ideas, and the London Bridge shop is just 5 mins
wal=
> from where I am sitting right now.... ;-)
>
> Paul G.

On=20
> Behalf Of
> Neil Fuller
> Sent: 22 December 2010 22:51
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [ukha_d] Budget Home Theatre Recommendations?
>
> My trusty old Toppy is beginning to creak a bit with the HDD making
some
> interesting noises!
>
> I could just replace the HDD but this seems an ideal opportunity to=20
> upgrade.
>
> FreeviewHD arrives here in April (fingers crossed) so I need a
> replacement for the Toppy
>
> The TV is a 48"sharp LCD but at present, I use the built in
speakers for
> the audio.
>
> I also have a Popcorn hour with Blueray.
>
> I'm looking to replace my very old HiFi with an AV amp with new
speakers
> (the trusty old Kef 104.2's are getting in the way!)
>
> I don't need multi-room video feeds and multi-room audio is handled by
> 7 zone sonos system.
>
> My living room is L-shaped and just doesn't lend itself to a hi-end
set
> up so I don't want to pay a fortune.
>
> So, knowing many on the list are enthusiastic home cinema builders,
I'm