Re: 1/2" or 15mm

As already mentioned the 1/2" dimension defines the outside
diameter
which may be relevant for manufacturers of pipe fittings but does not
specify what might be the flow characteristics hence the change to the
15mm internal specification which is about what one used to see with a
1/2" pipe anyway..

However pipe manufacture is not precision engineering, some pipes will
be thicker than others so the external dimensions will vary which is why
pipe olives are designed to deform to fit the pipe.  In short 1/2"
pipe
is essentially the same as 15mm and any dimensional variation should be
absorbed by the olive, if it isn't then enter PTFE tape . . . .

On 05/12/10 10:12, Dave McLaughlin wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> A quick Google on 1/2â?? pipe and it is nominal 5/8â?? OD
which translates to 15.87mm so it should be fairly easy with measurement to
confirm the differene.! Just a guess by the way!

> Daveâ?¦

Morgan
> Sent: 05 December 2010 16:59
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] 1/2" or 15mm
>

> Dave,
>
> Not so fast. I believe that 1/2" is the bore, whereas 15mm is the
outside diameter. Standards, see.

> Steve Morgan
> Sent from an iPhone 4

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums