Re: Re: VM Recomendations

Thanks for all your suggestions. What Paul is doing using guests for
an
application and then for training/testing is the sort of thing I'll be
doing
but only running the cut down hyper-v as I have no need for full W2008
server functionality of complexity.

I've been doing some research and there are a few places which say that you
can't connect USB devices (this would be a UPS) to or through Hyper-V. I
want to be able to close the WHS guest cleanly to prevent data loss. I
don't
know if I run full W2008server I can close that down and have that close
the
guests down smoothly first.

I'm trying to make up my mind as SCAN have Quad core processors/MBs and 4Gb
of memory available on this weekends "today only". Of course the
sensible
option would be just to buy another ATOM and use that for Geovision and
keep
the current one for WHS for now.......

Simon

"Paul" <paul@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't think any of them apssed through serial reports but then
I could
> be wrong and confusing it with the fact that Idratek won't work with a
> virtual serial port.
> >
> > I think all VM's can pass-through HDD as RAW to the virtual
machine
> certianly ESX and Hyper-V do.
> >
> > As for USB I'm sure Hyper-V can and ESX can't but then I don't
tend to
> play with this stuff everyday.
> >
> > At home I have a Quad core with 6GB of RAM which is using W2K8R2
64bit
> allowing me to run Tversity and GB-PVR. The later then gets to access
> couple of PCI and Firewire satellite tuners. Then I run Hyper-V on top
with
> a number of guests for learning new products i.e. Exchange 2010,
Sharepoint
> 2010, WHS, Ubuntu. I always have one guest running which is a domain
> controller for my AD Forest and ensures I have a backup of AD. I think
I've
> managed to run 5 machines at once. Not doing anything spectacular but
more
> than usable.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Pauls
> Hotmail" <paul_gordon@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think *all* of the hypervisors do have serial support, but
not all
> have
> > > USB. From recollection, I'm fairly sure that ESXi doesn't
pass through
> USB
> > > to guests. VMware workstation does (but that's not free),
can't
> remember if
> > > VMware server (which is free) does or not...
> > >
> > > From recollection, I think they all support raw drive
mappings for the