Re: Patch panel, ethernet & phone advice

Lee,

Some further advice on wiring up the phone line is here:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=534

Ebay used to be a good source of patch panels but prices recently,
esp. the postage, do seem to be taking the p!$$
This 48-port one at CPC seems to be good value:
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ut-8248/patch-panel-48-port-cat5e/dp/CS16148
not sure what the cable management is like on the back though...

HTH,

Tim.

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Lee <muddyboots@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> During my selfbuild I have run cat5 and coax cables back from every
room to my node zero (aka under the stairs).

> Now, although I'm not fully ready to wire everything up yet, I have to
get a phone and ethernet connection to one room in order for some home
working.

> I've not wired a patch panel up before, so am after advice...!
>
> Firstly, telephone wiring.
> Assuming I have a BT socket near the patch panel, what is the normal
method of wiring from the BT socket to the patch panel, and then at the
patch panel, how do you share the BT connection across several patch panel
sockets ?
> I assume in the room, I just need an RJ45 -> to BT adapter lead.
>
> Secondly - the patch panel itself. Are there any features I should
look for, and recommended suppliers ? Price is a key consideration... At
this point in time, this is just a temporary lash-up, and I don't have a
rack - so if any panels come with some sort of wall stand-off or similar
that could be useful. Probably looking at a 24-way panel.