Patch panel, ethernet & phone advice

  • Subject: Patch panel, ethernet & phone advice
  • From: "Lee" <muddyboots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 19:55:46 -0000

Hi all

During my selfbuild I have run cat5 and coax cables back from every room to
my node zero (aka under the stairs).

Now, although I'm not fully ready to wire everything up yet, I have to get
a phone and ethernet connection to one room in order for some home working.

I've not wired a patch panel up before, so am after advice...!

Firstly, telephone wiring.
Assuming I have a BT socket near the patch panel, what is the normal method
of wiring from the BT socket to the patch panel, and then at the patch
panel, how do you share the BT connection across several patch panel
sockets ?
I assume in the room, I just need an RJ45 -> to BT adapter lead.

Secondly - the patch panel itself. Are there any features I should look
for, and recommended suppliers ? Price is a key consideration... At this
point in time, this is just a temporary lash-up, and I don't have a rack -
so if any panels come with some sort of wall stand-off or similar that
could be useful. Probably looking at a 24-way panel.

Any tips/advice welcome !

Many thanks
Lee