Latest message you have seen: Re: CBus power usage

Re: Re: Currentcost software ? (was Currentcost USB lead)

The current version of Cacti is very easy to set to 1 minute polling,
which is what I do. You can also play with the setting to ensure that
you keep a good level of averages in the database, but not explored
this side yet. I actually running Cacti on my WHS server without any
issues. Due to where things are located in the house, I have a small
ITX machine near the CurrentCost that polls the USB port using an
ActivePerl script. The main problem I am having is that this script
keeps on dieing - haven't had the time to investigate yet.

When I get around to it I will also be adding my 1-wire stuff to Cacti
(my meter as a pulse output that can be monitored by a counter). It is
going to be very interesting to see how the two compare.

JB

2009/3/31 Tim Dawe <lists@xxxxxxx>:
>> Cant get Pachube to work - just starts and vanishes..
>
> I had the same problem when I was trying to use it on a (real RS232,
not =
USB) serial port shared by Eterlogic VSPE so that two applications could
ac=
cess it. =A0Using it direct to the port worked, so I wonder if there is a
p=
roblem with virtual COM ports?

>> Is everyone using one of these or are there others ?
>
> I'm using xPL, specifically my own xPLCurrentCost app (http://www.slatebl=
ue.org/xplcurrentcost/). =A0Data are logged to a mySQL database along with
=
data from other sensors by an xPLHal script/mySQL stored procedure. =A0I
us=
e jpgraph (http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/) to
generate graphs from the data,=
and when I eventually get round to it I will be able to feed the data from=
this database to Pachube/cacti/whatever.

> There's also a xAP application (http://www.netcompsys.co.uk/currentcost/)=
which looks like being more of a complete solution with built-in graphing =
if that's what you're after, though I couldn't see where to download it.

> One thing to bear in mind is what resolution you want, cacti polls
every =
5 or 10 minutes by default IIRC, and I think Pachube is every 15 mins.
=A0Y=
ou will probably miss some short duration peaks as a result (kettle
boiling=
for example). =A0I currently log every current cost reading (one every six=
seconds or so) for a detailed graph, and then calculate hourly and daily a=
verages to graph trends.