Re: New Build

<more CAT5>

Since you're doing a "new build" it's easy to run it in now,
cable is
cheap(ish) and you can leave some of it un-terminated for the time being to
save costs.

I've been "retro-fitting" CAT5 as I've been decorating around the
house and
it's such a PITA to do, especially in a reasonably modern building with
chipboard flooring and plaster / straw internal walls!

Even so, I've worked to the general rule of 4 CAT5 outlets (in a quad
faceplate in a double pattress) next to each power socket in every room,
which equates to 8 outlets in each of 4 bedrooms and the dining room.  In
the kitchen I just went for 4 outlets next to the breakfast bar.  In the
living room I went for 8 outlets behind the TV and another 4 on the other
side of the room.

Seems a lot (and it's not compared to some folks on the list!), but it's
just soooooo useful for other non-networking things like phone extensions,
temperature sensors, whole house audio distribution, usb extenders, serial
extenders, infra red distribution, video distribution, etc.

</more CAT5>

Managed switches can be picked up pretty cheaply now, especially on eBay.
They're good for doing stuff like Trunking (bandwidth aggregation), VLAN
(traffic separation) and QOS (quality of service).  Take a look at the
Netgear "Smart" switches, which are a good half way point between
a dumb
switch and a fully managed switch.

Martyn