Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: unRaid - Media storage server solution

Re: New Build

James - SJ Computers wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> We haven't looked at Z-Wave. Isn't it a wireless system? Because this
is a
> new build our client would like a hardwired system.

Z-Wave is wireless. In a new build, where the owner does not want
wireless, I would go with EIB/KNX-TP gear. Yes, they are expensive,
but you will have a huge selection of devices to choose from.

> Switch: Any reason why not Netgear? PoE is a must, for the reasons
given.
> Been looking at the GS748TP, although I expect we won't need full PoE,
> therefore may go for 1x GS724TP and 1x GS724TS, to keep costs down.

I have some older installs where Netgears do not produce problems,
but in the last 2 years, I went to Cisco or 3Com. Just replacing
going from one noname managed Gigabit switch to the 3Com enhanced the
throughput by over 10%. That sold me for the future.

> Another question: Where is the best place to locate Node Zero? I have
seen
> some builds with them in a room next to the front door, others with
them as
> centrally as possible to reduce cable costs. The architect has left
two huge
> storage rooms on the second floor, my only concern is running cable
all the
> way to/from the second floor.

I personally put the node 0 PC, where heat and noise is no issue, and
would locate the switches and patch panels, strategically throughout
the install to minimized cable length. Where does it say, that stuff
has all be at a single location? I used to put everything in ONE
central location. I no longer do that. Especially now with the DVB-S
cards in my central machine, I wanted to have the machine as close to
the dish as possible, but the switches and patch panels are all
located where I can easily get to them.
--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt