Re: New Build

James,

Having recently moved my wiring closet form under the stairs to a
landing cupboard, I would suggest the upstairs option would be better.
There's very little I *need* to go to the cupboard for and I'd guess
that a cupboard by the front door would be more convenient for coats,
shoes etc.

Is it a 3 storey house or a ground & upstairs? With the cupboard
upstairs in a 2-storey there's the whole of the loft available for
access & cable routing. Having the wiring closet non-centrally
downstairs leaves you with a large bundle of cables all following the
same route, whereas upstairs they can come from a variety of routes so
each bundle isn't quite so big.

There's maybe advantages in locating the electronics near the consumer
units for the house, but I don't think it's a biggie if you can't...

For reference I've installed 3x cat5, 1 coax & 2x speaker cable to six
points in the lounge, speaker cables to the downstairs room ceilings
and 2/3/4 cat5 + 1x coax to typically two places in all of the
remaining rooms. I've lost count of the number of runs but I will post
some pics of my (still cramped and work-in-progress) new wiring closet
:-)

Just as an aside, my adsl router gets very hot and the cupboard
currently runs at >28degC. I will be moving the router to back under
the stairs as it never seemed to get too hot there, but I guess my
point is, don't overlook ventilation requirements for the cupboard /
racks etc.

HTH,

Tim.