Re: Tivo Replacement.

From: "Stuart Poulton" <webworm@xxxxxxx>
> Hi All,
>
> The time has come to look at replacing trusty tivo.
>
> Does anyone have experience of the HUMAX Freesat PVR ?

I got the Freeview version called the 9300. If they are similar be very
wary- It's as dumb as a brick.

I was late to the PVR party as I wanted something that wasn't too much of a
compromise. Unfortunately there are far too many with this device. The USB
port is disabled so you can't archive anything off. If you use the HDMI
output, it won't upscale from the scart sockets. The scart sockets will do
composite, svideo and rgb out and inputs.

Pause live tv- doesn't work, when a recorded programme starts or ends the
buffer is flushed, thus loosing the end of many things.

Watching the recording while it is still going doesn't work either, when
you
forwards through the adverts and et to the current live material it doesn't
switch to the live stuff-it jumps to the finished playback screen.

Virgin TV doesn't have any series links- each programme has to be selected
one at a time. If you use the series link or the default marker system you
can't bracket recordings.

In the last three days it has either not started, or stopped recording
after
a few minutes seven programmes.

When you visual search through a programme you have the choice of 2x, 4x,
16x, 32x- 2x is bloody useless and the best speed (8x) doesn't exist. There
is loads more I could go on about but this is probably enough. I wasn't
going to post this but as it has messed up so many times in the last 3
days-
here it is.

All-in-all, avoid the freesat model if it is the freeview model with
different tuners model. I was looking to get the freesat version as well
but
based on my experience I'm going to wait for other manufactures.

Bro