Stupid Lexcom Questions Approaching.....

  • Subject: Stupid Lexcom Questions Approaching.....
  • From: "Geoff Forwood" <geoff_forwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:51:51 -0000

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've visited the group (I'm normally resident
o=
n self-building) but now I'm running out of building work and SWMBO is
nagg=
ing about the dangling telephone extension lead (among other things).

We have Lexcom cable installed throughout and mostly running back to a
cupb=
oard which will one day be Node-0. There is a cable running from where the
=
BT master socket is up to this cupboard (where I would like to plug in the
=
telephone and router initially) but is not yet connected to anything at
eit=
her end. My initial plan is to eliminate this telephone extension lead
that=
currently dangles along a similar route.

Sparky gave me one of these the last time I saw him:

http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/156/lexcom-home-wideband-rj45=
-connector

and a plastic fascia with a square hole in it but nothing that actually
fix=
es to a standard back box (i.e. I would assume a plate with screws). I
assu=
me I need to connect one end of my Lexcom cable into the back of this
conne=
ctor (do I need an RJ45 crimping tool for this? I've seen them from about
a=
fiver on ebay to =A322 on Screwfix). Is RJ45 the correct term for this typ=
e of plug/socket?

Then I obviously need a plug on the other end to fit the BT master socket.
=
So do I just need some of these?:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12840/Electrical-Supplies/Data-Networking/Con=
nectors/RJ45-Connector-Pack-of-10

Again, does the crimping tool make this easier?

Then Lexcom sell a cable stripping tool. Is this useful/essential?:

http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/150/lexcom-home-cable-strippi=
ng-tool

And to add to the confusion they also sell these:

http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/162/lexcom-home-bt-master-to-=
rj45-adaptor

Do I need to put one of these in the BT master socket first?

Finally, when I come to play with the rest of the cables I need to find
whe=
re they go. I've heard talk of testing tools. Any advice or
recommendations=
greatly appreciated.

As you can see I haven't got the foggiest and hence why we still have a
pil=
e of untouched data cables all over the house. Getting the phone line to
wo=
rk will be a major step forward in my understanding of what is required
and=
then maybe I'll stand a chance of getting my whole house audio and video p=
roject underway....

Many many many thanks and apologies for being dim.

Geoff