Re: Stupid Lexcom Questions Approaching.....

  • Subject: Re: Stupid Lexcom Questions Approaching.....
  • From: Ben Addison Ltd <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 23:36:22 +0100

Hi Geoff,=0D
=0D
I think i have a few of the plates in my unit from a lexcom job i did a
cou=
ple of =0D
years ago.=0D
=0D
as for the punch down tool, you don't need one. all you need to do is lay
t=
he =0D
cables in the correct slot and close the lid.=0D
=0D
If you send me your address i can send you a couple of plates out FOC.=0D
=0D
Thanks=0D
=0D
Ben=0D
=0D
On Sun Jul 26 20:51 , 'Geoff Forwood' <geoff_forwood@xxxxxxx>
sent:=0D
=0D
=0D
>It's been a long time since I've visited the group (I'm normally
resident =
on self-=0D
building) but now I'm running out of building work and SWMBO is nagging
abo=
ut the =0D
dangling telephone extension lead (among other things).=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>We have Lexcom cable installed throughout and mostly running back to a
cup=
board =0D
which will one day be Node-0. There is a cable running from where the BT
ma=
ster =0D
socket is up to this cupboard (where I would like to plug in the telephone
=
and =0D
router initially) but is not yet connected to anything at either end. My
in=
itial =0D
plan is to eliminate this telephone extension lead that currently dangles
a=
long a =0D
similar route.=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Sparky gave me one of these the last time I saw him:=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/156/lexcom-home-wideband-rj4=
5-=0D
connector=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>and a plastic fascia with a square hole in it but nothing that actually
fi=
xes to a =0D
standard back box (i.e. I would assume a plate with screws). I assume I
nee=
d to =0D
connect one end of my Lexcom cable into the back of this connector (do I
ne=
ed an =0D
RJ45 crimping tool for this? I've seen them from about a fiver on ebay to =
=A322 on =0D
Screwfix). Is RJ45 the correct term for this type of plug/socket?=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Then I obviously need a plug on the other end to fit the BT master
socket.=
So do I =0D
just need some of these?:=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12840/Electrical-Supplies/Data-=0D
Networking/Connectors/RJ45-Connector-Pack-of-10=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Again, does the crimping tool make this easier?=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Then Lexcom sell a cable stripping tool. Is this useful/essential?:=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/150/lexcom-home-cable-stripp=
ing-tool=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>And to add to the confusion they also sell these:=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>http://www.ibn-01.com/intelligenthome/product/162/lexcom-home-bt-master-to=
-rj45-=0D
adaptor=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Do I need to put one of these in the BT master socket first?=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Finally, when I come to play with the rest of the cables I need to find
wh=
ere they =0D
go. I've heard talk of testing tools. Any advice or recommendations
greatly=
=0D
appreciated.=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>As you can see I haven't got the foggiest and hence why we still have a
pi=
le of =0D
untouched data cables all over the house. Getting the phone line to work
wi=
ll be a =0D
major step forward in my understanding of what is required and then maybe
I=
'll =0D
stand a chance of getting my whole house audio and video project
underway..=
..=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Many many many thanks and apologies for being dim.=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>=0D
>Geoff=0D